So the release is over and overall I am very satisfied with the results. The game didn’t really sell a ton, but I didn’t expect it to, so not really anything unexpected there. I was actually a little surprised at the amount of feedback that I received and the general support of the people who purchased the game. I got lots of emails from people telling me that they enjoyed the game and they appreciated my work and stuff like that. It’s been a fun experience and I learned a whole lot about development and what it actually takes to release something. There also weren’t that many technical problems either.
- My initial windows installer was built as a 64-bit application, so anyone with 32-bit windows couldn’t install it. Several people ran into this issue and I had to manually send them a 32-bit installer while the humble store uploaded the new installer. When building an installer on 64-bit windows, you specifically need to tell it to generate 32-bit output or it will default to 64. Lesson Learned!
- One person tried running it on Linux and had some issues, but I managed to resolve them. It was just a problem getting the prerequisites to install. I actually used a Linux Mint Live CD to boot into Linux Mint and test to see if I could get it working. It was very seamless. I tried to make a .deb file that would automatically install dependencies, but it was way too difficult to figure out and I just assume if you are using Linux you are probably technical enough to figure things out and get it working. I did bundle a text file that listed all the needed dependencies, so it’s shouldn’t be that tricky.
- One person had a Mac issue where when running the application it did nothing. This was a result of Mono not being installed and I was able to resolve the problem. On OS X, typically when you try to run a Mono based application without mono installed it will popup a message box directing you to download mono, but for whatever reason that wasn’t happening. I’m not really sure if there is anything I can do about that, as that functionality is built in the launcher script that Xamarin Studio uses for App bundles. I still need to investigate this, but overall it’s a pretty low priority issue, as it shouldn’t effect many people.
Moving forward, I am currently working on version 1.1, which is mainly just bug fixes and a couple small enhancements. It will probably add an ability to scale the game up, because it can be a little small on large monitors, and I will also add a way of controlling the game with a mouse.
In parallel to version 1.1, I am working on the mobile version of the game. I already have a build that works on my phone, but the UI needs a lot of work to be touch friendly. I also will probably cut the editor from the mobile version as it just doesn’t really work well on that platform. I am hoping that I can complete this in a couple weeks, as I am ready to start working a new project.
Also, Ludum Dare 27 is coming up next weekend and I am super excited! I don’t know what I am going to make, but I am thinking something top down, actiony, or perhaps some kind of tower defense. I always have wanted to make a tower defense game, but the theme always leads me to make something else.
Lastly, I have been brainstorming ideas for my next project and I am really starting to focus in a particular idea. I have been playing with the art style and mocking things up and I think it could be pretty cool. Can’t wait to start working on it!